[Prev][Next][Index]

vermiculite, iron, and potassium

I recently read the book "Hydroponics for the Home Gardener."  It had some
interesting information that I have never heard about in my readings of
aquatic plants.

For people using vermiculite:
"the vermiculite you use should have as neutral a pH as possible and no
toxic amounts of boron or flourine."

Regarding trace elements:
"Iron becomes less available to the plant as the hardness of the water
increases."

"Under very humid conditions, where the light level is lower, you plant will
require more potassium -- as much as twice the normal amount.  This is
because photosynthesis is more difficult with a lower light level and
potassium is necessary for photosynthesis."

I know hydroponics is drastically different from an aquarium, but does
anyone have any thoughts on whether the above applies to aquariums?

-- Darrell