[Prev][Next][Index]

Trading post, and effect of cold weather

In message "Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #61", you write:
>From: Kenneth J McNeil <mcnei002 at maroon_tc.umn.edu>
>Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 23:54:38 -0600 (CST)
>Subject: Re: Plant Trader Exchange?
>
>The killiefish group recently started posting eggs and fish for sale or
>trade, but limited posting to Friday only. Perhaps we could do something
>similar here, with Shaji's OK of course.

This topic has been discussed before, with the consensus that it was
OK to post "for sale" and "want" messages.  The charter for the
mailing list currently says that trades between hobbyists are
permitted, but that advertisements from commercial-scale operations
are not allowed.  The restriction on commercial ads comes primarily
from my personal preference, and I'm willing to change it if that's
what this list wants.

The "Friday for ads" idea is great, I'm all for trying it out.

I wonder whether there is enough interest in trades to justify the
setting up of a trading post.  I remember someone from Fishroom
offering to set one up, but the response was less than overwhelming.
The trades section of The Aquatic Gardener also did not do well.  IMO,
unless there is a steady stream of ads (many more than are currently
appearing), a plant trading post separate from the newsgroups and
mailing list is not likely to succeed.

>"The George" and I exchanged some plants recently, the greatest potential
>problem was that the plants were going to be damaged due to cold during
>shipping (we used Priority Mail). My daughters found the box of plants
>from George sitting outside the house, in Minnesota. The temperature was
>well below freezing, but the plants (Anubias, Shinneresia, Alternanthera,
>Samolus) were all fine.

I've left a few plants outdoors in my patio this year as an
experiment.  After several nights of near-freezing weather, the crypts
are still alive, and have not melted. A bunch of Limnobium (frogbit)
is yellowing, but is still alive.  Java moss does not seem to be
affected at all.  It seems at least some tropical plants may be much
more hardy than expected.

-Shaji
Shaji Bhaskar, BNR, 35 Davis Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27713, USA
Email: bhaskar at bnr_ca                          Work Phone: (919) 991 7125