[Prev][Next][Index]

Aponogeton Propagation and Iron

> Subject: Aponogeton propagation
> From Rataj & Horeman they state that A crispus commonly sold is
> The true crispus has purple leaves. I have a couple of specimens
> the green (hybrid) variety and one has a flower stalk. There was
> mention if the hybrids are self-fertile and I've tried to pollin
> the one I have but there is no evidence of seed development so f
> about a

Many, if not most, of the Aponogetons available in the trade are
hybrids.  They have been crossed to produce plants that are more
tolerant of tank conditions, while still maintaining the "look" of
the original species.  From what I've read, it seems that about
60% of hybrid Aponos are self-fertile.

 ------------------------------

Subject: Snow White and the Iron Apple

Greg,

> >      I was thinking the same thing (but couldnt bring myself t
> >Before they had vitamins they used to stick nails into apples a
> >them rust to get more iron when they ate the apple.  I dont kno
> >works though.
>
> Give the apple to Snow White. I'd worry a lot about dying from i
> poisoning. I thought I read that iron poisoning kills more peopl
> poisoning ...

Inron in this form is not in a state useable by plants unless in a
reducing environment. (anaerobic substrate)

As far as a nail poisoning someone, it's unlikely.  While you are
correct that many childern each year are poisoned by getting into
Mom's iron SUPPLEMENT, it is a well-known fact that you can
usefully increase the iron levels in the foods your family eats by
cooking them in cast iron pots and pans.  Stainless steel doesn't
work, however ;-)

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA