Shaji Bhaskar, BNR, 35 Davis Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27713, USA
Email: bhaskar at bnr_ca                          Work Phone: (919) 991 7125

---forwarded message---->

Nov 02 09:34:00 1995
 To:         'Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com'                 (BNR400)
 From:       'ehami at sunny_ncmc.cc.mi.us'                       (BNR400)
 Subject:    CO2 source

A most common use for compressed co2 is bars and restaurants.  It is
used when a keg of beer is tapped to keep it from going flat.  Also used
for soda fountains where the syrup is added to carbonated water such as
in MacDonalds.  I have been told the co2 is gathered from fermenting beer.

So to buy a tank of co2, find out what your local bar does.  Here in
Michigan it is illegal to fill a tank without special certification so
the co2 dealers "lease" a tank for 10 years and you bring the empty tank
in and exchange it for a full one.

I am a little surprised nobody talking about DIY co2 units has not
decided to make wine or beer.  The question then becomes what is the
byproduct - the wine or the co2.  Guess it depends on how much you like wine.

--Earle Hamilton from northern Michigan where coral once grew