[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Hyroo concerns

Yoadie yo ho !!!

Based on a message from Paul Krombholz to All,
Let's talk about: Re:Hyroo concerns

 PK> Two possibilities occur to me.  The liquid plant nutrition and/or the
 PK> Tetra stuff stuck in the substrate may be too strong.  Sometimes high

Hmmm. You might be right - it happens to the plants that
have the tetra nearby, I believe...

 PK> concentrations of some nutrients, such as phosphate can interfere with
 PK> uptake of other nutrients, particularly iron.  If the young leaves that
 PK> don't want to grow are pale, then iron deficiency is a real
 PK> possibility.  I would recommend replanting them in plain topsoil with
 PK> no nutrients added. Do not push the stems under the soil.  instead,
 PK> weigh the stems down with small stones.

Darn. Well, I might just do that, only picking out the stuff
I put in might be a problem...

 PK> Another possibility is that you may be giving the plants too long a
 PK> light period.  Continuous light makes Hygrophyla grow small, distorted
 PK> leaves that are a dark, translucent green because there is no spongy
 PK> mesophyll with air spaces between the upper and lower epidermis.  I do
 PK> not know how long a night period is needed to prevent this effect; I
 PK> only know that it always occurs when the plants are given continuous
 PK> light.

Well, I have a short night period - about 5 to 6 hours only,
so I might lengthen it a little. Although I noticed that
with 8 hours daylight only Hygros don't grow at all (this
happens at a friendly shop where the owner has no timing
device and has to turn off the lights when he leaves...).
they always have grown very well under my light conditions,
so I'd rather believe that it's the soil. Thanx for the tip,
I'll try to remove the nutrition...

           /
          ||/   -=< TONID >=-
     | /| |/   Tomasz Nidecki
     || |//    tonid at falcon_mimuw.edu.pl (FWD to FIDO)
     ||////    Tomasz.Nidecki at f78_n480.z2.fidonet.org
     /  /_
    |', ___
     --

Message originated at Tonid's Endemic Zone FIDO-Gate
From: Tomasz Nidecki <Tomasz.Nidecki at f78_n480.z2.fidonet.org>
To:   Paul Krombholz
Please use the above "From:" address for private mail!