[Prev][Next][Index]

Odiforous Aquaria

> Subject: Re: Odoriforous Aquaria

Carol,

> I have a question I've never seen asked before. What does a heal
> smell like? <G> My plant tanks have a STRONG odor, I think it sm
> algae, but I don't really know how to describe it. They do have
> been cycling through different kinds, right now there is (I thin
> Slime. Signed, Just Wondering!

What you smell is the "slime algae". (cyanobacteria)  I haven't
experienced _all_ the different permutations of algae problems,
(yet<g>) but unless a tank has someting dead in it, the only time
I've smelled a "smelly" aquarium, it harbord cyanobacteria.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA