 To:         Shaji (S.)  Bhaskar
 From:       'HeathDA at agresearch_cri.nz'
 Subject:    FW: Glossary (A)

Hi Shaji,

Hopefully this message will get through to you. Could you please try
posting it to the APD for me. I have tried posting this twice and I
have no idea why it is not working, I'm doing nothing different from
glossary into the mail mess age from MS Word.

Hi all,

Here are some more words, submitted for your comments, criticisms etc.

Abaxial: facing away from the axis; hence abaxially; used of leaf surface
Aberrant: departing from the norm
Abortive: imperfectly developed
Acaulescent: lacking or appearing to lack a distinct stem
Acerose: narrow with a sharp stiff point
Achene: a small, indehiscent, one seeded fruit with thin pericarp
Acicular: having a needle-shaped tip, or the whole leaf being needle like
Actinomorphic: with the parts radially symmetrical
Acuminate: tapering to a fine point, the sides more or less concave
Acute: sharply pointed
Adaxial: facing towards the axis
Adnate: united to an organ of a different kind, such as sepals to petals
Adventitious: arising irregularly or in an abnormal position; as roots from
       stems
Alternate: placed singly along an axis, not in opposite pairs
Alveolate: deeply closely pitted
Amplexicaul: clasping the stem
Anastomosing: joining up to form loops or a network; hence anastomosis, a
       loop in a network, usually of veins; plural anastomoses
Ancipital: 2-edged, used especially of flattened stems.
Androecium: the stamens as a whole
Androgynous: with male and female in same inflorescence
Andromonoecious: with male and perfect flowers on the same plant
Anemophilous: wind pollinated
Anisophyllous: with leaves, usually the members of one pair, differing in
        shape or size
Annual: a plant which completes itC9s life cycle within one year
Annular: ring shaped
Annulus: a ring; particularly the complete or incomplete ring of
        thick-walled cells in a fern sporangium forming part of the dehiscence
        mechanism.
Anterior: on the side away from the axis and so appearing in front
Anther: the pollen-bearing part of a stamen
Anthesis: the act of flowering; the stage when pollen is shed
Apetalous: without petals
Apex: the tip or free end of an organ
Aphyllous: leafless
Apicula (or Apiculus): a short slender more or less flexible point; hence
         apiculate
Apocarpus: with separate carpels
Apomixis: the production of viable seed without fertilisation; hence
apomictic, apomict
Apposite: side by side
Appressed: closely and flatly pressed against a surface
Approximate: close together
Arcuate: curved or arched, more or less strongly
Areole: a small delimited area, as in the space between anastomosing
          veins; hence areolate
Articulate: jointed; with nodes or joints where parts may separate
Ascending: directed upwards at a rather narrow angle
Asperous: rough to the touch; hence asperities, asperulous
Attenuate: gradually tapering
Auricle: an ear shaped appendage or lobe; hence auricled, auriculate
Autotrophic: having independent nutrition, i.e. neither parasitic nor
          saprophytic
Axil: the upper angle between two dissimilar parts; hence axillary,
          occurring in the axil
Axis: the main stem or central longitudinal support; plural axes