[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Odoriforous Aquaria

> From: "Carol Darnell" <carol at jupiter_biochem.missouri.edu>
> Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 10:09:11 -0500
>
> I have a question I've never seen asked before. What does a healthy
> plant tank smell like? <G> My plant tanks have a STRONG odor, I think
> it smells like algae, but I don't really know how to describe it. They
> do have algae, I have been cycling through different kinds, right now
> there is (I think) Brush and Slime. Signed, Just Wondering!

Our four tanks vary.  The 85 g (closed top, UGF, FL) never seems to
have much of an odor.  The 100 g (closed top, trickle filter, FL)
tends to get some BG algae around the skimmer box and sometimes smells
like that.  The 90 g (open top, trickle filter, MH) gets odor
producing algae on the top area only when the plants are overgrown and
are blocking surface circulation.  The 120 g (open top, trickle
filter, MH) always has a strong green smell; the frogbit on the top
tends to have algae, although it's not easily seen.

George