[Prev][Next][Index]

re:Yeast CO2

>From: pevad at islandnet_com (Paul Evad)
>Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 13:13 PDT
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #18
>
>I use about 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon of regular cooking yeast, and 3/5-4
>cups warm water. The odd time I had the yeast blow over into the tank via
>the hose so I decreased the water (we had a heat wave and the yeast went
>into overdrive). This mixture lasts a few weeks for me.

If you experiment, you may find that one tablespoon of yeast is more than you
need.  I use one teaspoon against 2 cups of sugar.  This may also be the reason
your yeast went into overdrive.

>I've heard adding a
>bit of baking soda helps extend the life a bit, and possibly prevent the
>white fluff?

I'm not sure whether it extends the life or not.  I find that it seems to
stabilize the CO2 output over the life of the generator mix.  It does not
prevent the white fluff (bacteria) in the reactor/diffuser.

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc. Dallas, TX USA
(214) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  pgr at ti_com Subj:PAGE:David Webb