[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Bleach treatment and 'blue' snail

>Since as everyone knows, I have been keeping up with animals that eat
>beard algae for over 10 years. It would be nice to know that there is
>something to add to the list of SAE and Yumato-numa-ebi. I have never
>heard of a 'blue' snail. See what you can find out about its scientific
>name, where is comes from, if it is described in any aquarium books and
>what other common names it may go by.

Brown apple snails eat the long variety of red algae.  I don't know whether
that's beard or brush.  They don't appear to eat the short variety.  From what
I've seen, the long variety grows in my tank under high light conditions when
there isn't enough CO2 available.  It's about an inch long and grows in mats
covering the leaves of my plants.  The color is a very dark reddish black.  The
short variety grew in my tank when I wasn't using as much light.  It attached
itself to fixtures and to the older leaves of my plants.  It was the same color,
 but had a velour texture.  This algae turned a very light green when I upped
the lighting on the tank (my observation).  These may be two different growth
patterns of the same algae.  I don't know, but the apple snails didn't seem to
make as much of a dent in it.

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc. Dallas, TX USA
(214) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  pgr at msg_ti.com Subj:PAGE:David Webb