[Prev][Next][Index]

re:Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #10

>From: Chuck Lawson <clawson at onramp_net>
>Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 09:20:09 -0500
>Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #9
>
>>From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
>>
>>But honestly, I still have this nagging feeling that you are seriously
>>under-estimating the effort that is needed to keep a Dupla-style tank
>>going.
>
>Okay Shaji, I'll bite :-)
>
>I'm getting this feeling that you're referring to some deep dark maintenance
>nightmare secret of plant tanks here, and for the life of me, I can't think
>what it could be.  What all do you consider involved with keeping a Dupla-style
>tank going?  My guess would have been (once established) mostly water changes,
>cleaning prefilter, pruning plants, plucking out dead leaves, feeding fish,
>testing water (iron and KH, generally), fertilizing, and every now and then
>changing bulbs on the lighting.

["Resume" deleted]

I did not know your background, you probably will have far less
trouble than I anticipated.

It's the time needed to get the tank established that I was talking
about (mostly).  You could spend quite a bit of time tinkering with
the tank, trying various combinations of lighting duration,
fertilizer, plants etc before you get to a stage where the tank is
relatively algae-free and the plant growth is good.  This is a lot of
work compared with adding a few drops of fertilizer.  Even electronics
props can be a hindrance at the beginning rather than a help.  I know
someone who had to replace two Sandpoint pH controllers before he got
one that worked right.

When you are through, you can finally settle the debate over whether
plant tanks are harder than reefs :-)

-Shaji