[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Diatom filters and algae blooms

>    *  Subject: Diatom filters & algae blooms
>    *  From: "Dan Resler" <resler at liberty_mas.vcu.edu>
>    *  Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 13:42:06 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Just a follow-up on my previous question ... as Karen said, diatom
> filters do indeed remove suspended algae. I bought a Vortex diatom
> filter and put it to work on a 35g with pea-soup water. And <presto>
> ... clear water within 15 minutes (leaving the filter bag a very
> satisfying bright green color). I raised the MH pendant, cut back the
> timer to 8 hours, temporarily suspended using the Dupla drops, and
> the bloom has yet to return (after 5 days). We'll see.

I've often found that attacking the algae problem head-on using diatom
filters, Erythromycin, etc makes sense, though conventional wisdom
recommends searching for a root cause.

In many instances, there may not be a permanent underlying cause for
algae blooms. Instead, some transient shift in tank conditions could
have allowed algae to dominate.  Removing the algae allows the tank to
return to its original, desirable steady state.

I am not claiming that this approach will always work.  It's
definitely worth a try if the water tests normal.

-Shaji