[Prev][Next][Index]

re:DIY CO2

>I'm Going to hope that this Question hasn't really been asked to reently
>but as I recnetly installed my new lighting and all that good stuff I was
>hopeing to start using Co2 now in anycase am I to assume that for the diy
>all I really need to do is get a 2 liter bottle dump in a cup of water a
>cup of sugar and a few table spoons of yeast and away it goes? Of course I
>know there is more to it than that like gang valve's and needle's and all
>that other stuff so if someone could point me in the right direction as to
>where I can get more info on this that would be great because I would hate
>to have my CO2 end up all over the wall's as I recall some other people
>saying at one time or another.

Since I have had CO2 mix all over the place, I'll try to answer.

As long as you don't try to keep the CO2 mixture under pressure, you don't have
to worry about exploding bottles or "mad firehose" tubing.

I use 2 cups of sugar (.5 liters), with 1 tsp of yeast (2 ml?) and 1 tsp of
baking soda in my yeast generators.  The bottle is a 2-liter soft drink bottle
with a fitting in the cap for the air line.  I fill the bottle to within 3" (8
cm) of the top with lukewarm tap water.  After hooking it up, I start getting
bubbles within 20 minutes, and I get full strength in about 1 day.  It
continues to bubble for about 3 weeks, but I like to change out the mixtures
every other week.  I run two bottles on my 55 gallon tank, alternating the
"freshening" on the bottles.

One hint:  Leave the bottle cap hooked up to the air tubing.  Don't bother to
remove it.  This is just to good of a place for leaks to occur.  I just unscrew
the bottle off of the cap when I want to work on it.

Hope this helps,

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc. Dallas, TX USA
(214) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  pgr at msg_ti.com Subj:PAGE:David Webb