[Prev][Next][Index]

Lillaeopsis flowers, DIY UGH (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:20:28 +1000 (EST)
From: STEVEN R AMOR <n1036416 at student_fit.qut.edu.au>
To: Aquatic_Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Lillaeopsis flowers, DIY UGH

Hello all,

I have two questions, but first a suggestion.  Most people probably have WWW
access, so I would like to propse that more of us put pictures of out tanks
for all to see.  I don't mean a huge web page, but just a link, I find it
much more interesting to see what other people are doing, and it gives
everyone some idea of each others successes.  ANyway, I'll be putting my
web pages up soon, for all to visit!

Question1:

	I bought 2 lillaeopsis (?) a few months back.  One went in my
heated 4 ft tank, where I add iron supplements every day.  The other went
into an unheated, only slightly fertilized tank.

Last week, the plant in the unheated tank flowered!  Well, the flowers
were only really tiny, but they were yellow/greenish.  The flowers were
situated along the stem of the 'feeleres' I'll call them, that shoot out
from the plant and spread outwards.  My plant is in a small pot, and so
as these 'feelers' grew they could not grow in the gravel, but instead
started growing towards towards the bottom of the gravel-less tank.
My question is, is it common for these plants to flower, and if not, then
would the fact that the new shoots are hovering above the gravel have
anyhting to do with it?

Question2:  I've almost finished building my DIY Under gravel heater..
It's a lowish wattage, so I guess it will be staying on most of the
time.  I've built an electronic temperature controller, bnut I'm not sure
what the literature says about how much hotter the gravel should be than
the water itself.  I presume it is only a small temperature increase, but
does anyone have any suggestions?  In theory, I can control the
temperature to 0.1degree C, but what's theory and what actually works
aren't necessarily equal!

Steve Amor
n1036416 at droid_fit.qut.edu.au

PS, Is any one else in this group living in Queensland, Australia?