[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #57

>From: Kevin Conlin <kcconlin at zola_cae.ca>
>Date: Tue, 03 Oct 1995 10:29:05 -0400
>Subject: White fuzzy stuff on yeast CO2 outlets revealed
>
>I finally became curious enough to put some of the white fuzz that grows
>at the outlet of my DIY yeast CO2 system under a microscope.  At 600x,
>very narrow unbranching filaments are seen.  These filaments appear to be
>chains of bacteria; they are divided into individual cells with no apparent
>internal structure like so:
>
>  ____________________________________
>  __|____|____|____|____|____|____|___
>
>Most strands were very long, but there were many small fragments consisting of
>just a few cells.  Many motile and immotile bacteria were also seen.  I didn't
>have a reticle so I couldn't determine actual dimensions.  Perhaps some
>microbiologist could come up with a speculative ID for these critters.
>- --
>Kevin Conlin   kcconlin at cae_ca   "We're Canadians.  We HAVE to be polite"

I am not a microbiologist, just a biologist, but I have seen these, too,
appearing as white tufts on top of the mulm in some of my darker aquaria.
A few months ago I looked at some under a microscope, and saw just what you
describe.  I think it is a colorless blue-green alga, or cyanobacterium,
and it looks just like Oscillatoria except for the lack of pigment.  I
found on the web a group that works with cyanobacterial toxins, and their
leader said that he could not give me a professional opinion, but he gave
several addresses of people he thought could help.  I havn't got to them
yet, but will try to, and if I find anything, I will post it here.  By the
way, If what you saw was like what I saw, you should have seen motility in
the cyanobacterial threads.  They should glide slowly and bend slowly from
side to side.