[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Pennywort Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #60

> From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
>
> I assume that the 'other plant' you saw in the Dallas Aquarium was
> like the one you have been calling verticillata.  Did it look like
> yours?

Exactly.

There seems to be a variety of forms of this plant.  We have some
growing as weeds in our field grass (dry climate).  I also saw some
growing on the edge of ponds when I visited my folks in Savannah, GA.

> From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
>
> One species (which I think is H. verticillata) tends to grow very
> long leaf stalks reaching all the way to the surface of the tank, and
> has leaves taht are 3" or so in diameter.

The plant is currently floating.  The leaves are on vertical petioles
about 2" long that are off a main stem growing horizontally 2" below
the surface. I think we had it planted a long time ago and it simply
grow petioles to the surface (I hope I'm using "pertiole" correctly;
the part that attaches the leaf to the main stem).

Rechecking it last night showed that the leaves are notched like H.
leucocephala but are more "scalloped" around the edges.  The scallops
tend to overlap on the unknown plant (kind of like 3/4 circles) where
the H. leucocephala scallops are more like 1/2 circles.  There is
more of a cut where the scallops meet on the unknown plant.  The Rataj
(or perhaps Barry) description led me to think it was H. verticillata
and the small foreground variety was H. vulgaris.  A plant-guru in
Denver assured me it was not H. verticillata so I just call it
Pennywort now :-).

George