[Prev][Next][Index]

White fuzzy stuff on yeast CO2 outlets revealed

I finally became curious enough to put some of the white fuzz that grows
at the outlet of my DIY yeast CO2 system under a microscope.  At 600x,
very narrow unbranching filaments are seen.  These filaments appear to be
chains of bacteria; they are divided into individual cells with no apparent
internal structure like so:

Most strands were very long, but there were many small fragments consisting of
just a few cells.  Many motile and immotile bacteria were also seen.  I didn't
have a reticle so I couldn't determine actual dimensions.  Perhaps some
microbiologist could come up with a speculative ID for these critters.
--
Kevin Conlin   kcconlin at cae_ca   "We're Canadians.  We HAVE to be polite"