[Prev][Next][Index]

Metronidazole and plants

There is a thread on the Discus-List at the moment discussing how in some
cases a treatment with Metronidazole has, as a side effect,  increased the
growth of plants and algae. Would any of you have any knowledge or care to
comment on this topic? I am not suggesting that  Metronidazole be used as a
plant supplement but I would be interested to know how it may be working.

Those who have described this effect have mentioned that leaf colour goes
from light green / yellow to a bright green. So perhaps the metronidazole is
acting as a chelating agent for Fe or some other trace element. I may be
wrong but I get the feeling that they are talking about plants that are
growing under unfavourable conditions, so this effect may not be apparant in
a tank full of healthy growing plants.

Derek