[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Magnesium precipitation

> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:46:46 -0400 (EDT)
> 	What reason do you have for saying that magnesium slowly precipitates
> out of solution?  What does it come down as?  I can't see any reason to
> chelate magnesium, are you sure you don't mean manganese (Mn)?

I'm not certain about this. I recall reading someplace on a chelated
supplement for gardens about chelated magnesium and about some magnesium
compounds having a low solubility, but... I checked in my chemistry book
and MgCO3 has solubility of 10**-15 (very low). I can't find any data
on oxides of magnesium. It could be that what I recalled imperfectly was
manganese? I'm no chemist so perhaps you can clear this up. BTW, that
stinky gas that comes out of marshes; is that H2S? That stuff is very
poisonous isn't it? Lethal in concentrations of ppm? One kind of swamp
gas is methane, but I don't think that is the stinky stuff.

Steve