[Prev][Next][Index]

Glastnost and Pennywort

> From: Mick Nally <mick at roch-inst_co.uk>
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 13:25:26 +0100 (BST)
> Subject: Glasnost

> In this new era of Glasnost I thought I should make a 'corydorus
> dash from the depths and de-lurk for few seconds!
>
> Hello plant people, I'm Mick Nally from Fife in Scotland. It ape
> that my nearest list neighbour so far is in Warsaw!

Welcome Mick, and glad you "delurked"!  Your tank sounds
beautiful.  IMO, high tech or low tech is not important, rare or
hard-to-grow plants are not important.  What _is_ important is a
beautiful tank that brings enjoyment to its owner!  Sounds like
you're an expert in those terms!  Don't stay under that Anubias
leaf too long!

------------------------------

> From: "Edmund C. Hack" <echack at crl_com>
> Date: Fri, 22 Sep 1995 07:44:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Sources for pennywort/ID questions

> I am currently messing around with a 10 gal. planted tank, tryin
> until I can get a space set up for a proper (75 gal or so) plant
> have a couple of plant questions. One plant I have seen in some
> Tetra books is Pennywort. Is there a US source of this? I would
> establish some at the front of the tank as a carpet.

Pennywort (Hydrocotyle) is available in this country.  If you
can't find it from a mail order supplier, try your local Aquarium
Society.  It often trades hands between hobbyists.  Someone on the
list might even have some. ;-)

HOWEVER, the Hydrocotyle usually available is H. leucocephala,
which is really a floating plant.  You can pin it down
temporarily, but it usually finds its way back to the surface
before too long.  The other species sometimes seen are H.
verticillata and vulgaris.  Neither are really tropical plants,
and do better in cooler water.  Vulgaris will remain rooted, but
sends long stems up to the top of the water with its leaves.
Verticillata stays a little shorter, but it still wouldn't be one
of my choices for a foreground plant.  In fact, H. leucocephala is
more attractive all the way around.

> Secondly, I bought a plant IDed at the store as "Pusillia sp.".
> plant with grasslike leaves about 3-5 mm across and 40-50 mm lon
> know what it might be?

Sounds more like a species name than a generic name to me.  There
are several small grass like plants.  We can guess better if we
know the root structure and how it was sold (potted, separate
plants, etc.)