[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Anubias 'Coffeefolia'

Subject: Re: Yellowing leaves

Joanne,

> The coffefolia plant that you gave me has a lot of yellowing on
> It's the top leaf, closest to the surface so I wondered if it mi
> harmed by the light somehow, but it's in an 18" tall tank with a
> of gravel & still about 6" from the lights.  The two bulbs direc
> are just radionics & I tried to put coralife bulbs in the fixtur
> wouldn't work (they were "fatter" than the radionics), but they
> in the other fixture (double tube hood vs single tube hood - any
> this problem?).  According to the table on deficiencies it could
> nitrogen defeciency (there's no holes & it's not at the edges or
> large patches of yellow covering the outer 1/3 of the leaf).  Th
> are at 8 ppm, nitrites zero & ammonia(um) zero.  I dropped a cou
> tabbs in this morning hoping that might help.  Any ideas?  Is th
>
> I also put a laterite ball below the roots when I planted it and
> fertilizing with a homemade version of Tropica Master Grow (cont
> K, B, Fe, Cu, Mn, Mn and Zn in the same amounts as TMG).  I keep
> between 0.1 and 0.3 ppm.  During the day, pH = 7.0, CO2 = 22ppm,
> KH = 13, at night pH = 7.4, CO2 = 15 ppm..

I don't know anything about the lights you are using, but I've
never seen an Anubias harmed by even very bright fluorescent
lighting (I've never used MH's, but a suspect you _could_ burn
some plants with those<g>)  It came out of a 55G tank with 160W of
full spectrum, 5000K fluorescents, so it is used to getting plenty
of light.

Laterite is certainly a good idea with Anubias, as is a good trace
element supplement.  I would _not_ use Plant Tabbs... Last time I
checked, they were full of phosphate.

I don't remember which section of the plant I sent you, but if the
yellow leaf is on the old end of the plant (you may be able to
tell from the cuts)  It is probably simply an old leaf that has
met its demise a little sooner due to its recent shipping
and transplant.  Anubias leaves are very long lived, but they _do_
eventually die, just like on any other plant.  I have found that
unlike softer leaved plants which tend to develop decay as they
die, Anubias leaves are tough enough that they hold their
structure, but turn yellow when they die.

I suspect that as long as your conditions are good the plant will
settle in fine even if it loses a leaf or two.