[Prev][Next][Index]

Riccia

> From: Erik Olson <eriko at wrq_com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 07:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Riccia and Glossostigma, again.
>
> > From: "Dan Resler" <resler at liberty_mas.vcu.edu>
> > Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 22:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Just had a long conversation with Mike T. at Delaware Aquatics (easy
> > to do - the man is not lacking in opinions <g>). Anyway, Amano's book
> > came up. He was chuckling because everyone under the sun has been
> > calling him asking for Riccia. And he talks them all out of using it,
> > saying it just won't work.
>
> Now why would he want to do that?  It's such an inexpensive plant, and
> a nice floating plant.  Could it be that he DOESN'T HAVE any? :)  I'd
> like to try this, but nobody has it locally here either.

I sent some of my "lawn-like" plant to Karen & she confirmed it was riccia.
It grows well for me floating & tangled up in other plants on the bottom :-).
I tied some to some driftwood & it grew well there.  I think the key to it
staying nice is to make sure it stays growing, in my tanks I can't seem to
stop it growing (yet have problems with other plants!).  The tank it grows
best in is a 10 gal tank with one flourescent bulb (a radionic which is
several years old & the glass top was very dirty till I cleaned it just now)
:-), so I don't think lighting is critical.  It's also growing quite well on
the surface of my 55 gal tank with all new bulbs (a mix of radionics and
tritons).

The 10 gal tank just has a UGF and no external filter.  In the other tanks
there are external filters which the riccia tends to get trapped in.  All
my tanks have DIY CO2.  The pH is around 7.2, CO2 about 15-20 ppm, GH 5-10
and nitrates range from 0-20 ppm.  I've found it easy to grow.

If you would like some riccia, I can send you some.

Joanne.
Madison, WI, USA.