[Prev][Next][Index]

Riccia and Glossostigma, again.

> From: Erik Olson <eriko at wrq_com>
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 07:54:01 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > From: "Dan Resler" <resler at liberty_mas.vcu.edu>
> > Date: Sun, 17 Sep 1995 22:29:14 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > Just had a long conversation with Mike T. at Delaware Aquatics (easy
> > to do - the man is not lacking in opinions <g>). Anyway, Amano's book
> > came up. He was chuckling because everyone under the sun has been
> > calling him asking for Riccia. And he talks them all out of using it,
> > saying it just won't work.
>
> Now why would he want to do that?  It's such an inexpensive plant, and
> a nice floating plant.  Could it be that he DOESN'T HAVE any? :)  I'd
> like to try this, but nobody has it locally here either.

My wife has some riccia tied down to rocks in her discus tank
which is doing surprisingly well (I would have thought that
riccia wouldn't be able to handle the high temperatures).  I
would agree with Hardjono that it is important to trim it so that
the stuff right next to the rock gets enough light.  It looks way
cool when all the bubbles collect on the tips of the riccia - you
don't notice them if you are looking down on them, but once you
are looking at eye level the bubbles reflect the light from above
(just like christmas :-))

> > Any Australians out there? Can you readily get it? And how many years
> > would you get if you were caught shipping boxes of it to the States?
>
> It's New Zealanders that you should be asking (hi Len, how's it growin'?);

It's growing pretty well.  I had some Glossostigma as well as
Lilaeopsis ruthiana in a bathtub outside, but having just had
winter over here the growth was pretty slow (the original plan
was to grow it up in the bathtub and then put heaps of it into
the indoor tanks).  A couple of weeks ago I finally put some into
my tropical tank and it's growing great - the Glossostigma is
sending out heaps of runners.

> From: Hardjono.Harjadi at Eng_Sun.COM (Hardjono Harjadi)
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:18:12 -0700
> Subject: Riccia on the rock
>
> ... If you don't mind tying it down every now
> and then, I would suggest that you use overlapping small flat rocks instead
> of one big piece. This way you only have to tie down one small piece at a
> time.

And the rocks should probably be as square as possible (well, not
round anyway).  Otherwise it's impossible to get the nylon to
stay on without having it crossing over zillions of times in the
one place (so you get riccia growing fine around the edges and
a big dent in the middle where it can't get through).

Cheers,
	Len.
--
 Comp Sci Grad   DoD#1334   trigg at cs_waikato.ac.nz