[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Straw for algae control

Re:  Question from Lenny Lim regarding use of straw in ponds to

Sheila,

> You need feed quality
> because it should not be treated as is straw used for animal bed
> anyone knows where it get it, please help.

I don't know much about ponds, and have never tried using straw
for algae control.  But I _do_ know about large animals.<g>  Straw
is _not_  a feed.  It is a bedding material.  HAY is what is fed
to animals.  Straw is the stems left after the grass is allowed to
go to seed, and the grain has been harvested. (hay is cut while
still green, and should not have ripened and gone to seed)  Straw
has very little nutritional value.

I have never heard of straw being "treated".  What _can_ happen is
that they sell lower quality straw that has become wet and moldy,
or otherwise contaminated as mulch for gardens, and for road work.

Don't want you all running around looking for something that
doesn't exist.<g>

Karen