[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #294

Re:  Question from Lenny Lim regarding use of straw in ponds to control algae

I have read in several British publications about the use of "Barley
straw" in ponds for algae control.  They place the straw in front of the
water return from the filter or pump so that the "enzyme" is distributed
throughout the pond.  I have tried to get barley straw in every feed
store in my area but have not had any luck.  It seems it is not grown in
the northeast and so it is not available.  You need feed quality straw
because it should not be treated as is straw used for animal bedding.  If
anyone knows where it get it, please help.

Sheila
srogers at suffolk_lib.ny.us