[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Green water -> dyes

From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 16:20:46 PDT

> When you've had enough green
>water, a micron or diatom filter will do the job. If it's really not
>algae, but a dye, the carbon should do the trick. The diatom will take
>care of anything in suspension (not dissolved).

Steve,
As I indicated in previous message, I have had cases of green water that
could not be completely removed with a diatom. I am pretty sure that there
are some micro, microspopic forms of algae that will pass thru the diatom
filter. I think Chlorella is one example. Dinoflagelattes are much larger
and will be filtered. But your idea of a dye is intriguing... Could the
algae have released its chlorophyll and dyed the water.  Next time I have
this phenomenon I will add carbon to the filter and see what happens. I wish
I had a good microscope <g>

--Neil
         Neil Frank, editor of The Aquatic Gardener
Visit the AGA home page at <http://blake.oit.unc.edu/~fish/aga/>