[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #296

You wrote:

>From: "John Y. Ching" <jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca>
>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 1995 22:37:26 -0400 (EDT)
>Subject: Aponogeton madagascariensis
>
>My Aponogeton madagascariensis has send up a flowering stalk to the
water
>surface. Are the flowers of this species self-fertile? Do I have to do
>anything to help it along. Obviously there are no insects to do their
>thing in my house :). I think Steve Pushak had an A. madagascariensis
that
>flowered but I don't remember if any viable seeds were produced.  Any
>possibility one can grow this species from seeds? If so, how? TIA.
>
> John Y. Ching (jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca)    |
> Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Lab	|
> Department of Systems Design Engineering      	|
> University of Waterloo, Canada            	|

John,

I do not know if they are self-fertile, but if you use a small artists
paint brush and brush the flowers that should better ensure
pollination.  Can you provide any information on how long you have been
growing your A. mad, aquarium conditions, and anything else that may
help others successfully grow this species?

Bob