[Prev][Next][Index]

re: Straw for algae control

>From: Stephen.Pushak at saudan_HAC.COM
>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 16:20:46 PDT
>Subject: Straw for algae control?
>
>I suspect the straw contains allelopathic chemicals which suppress
>algae growth. Straw comes from wheat, barley or oats which are just
>big domestic grasses; dead grass probably works too. Ever notice how
>nothing much else grows in a healthy lawn but grass? Same principle.

It seems the use of straw for algae control in ponds is fairly well known.
There was a huge discussion in rec.ponds about this a year or so ago.  I did
not pay much attention, because I did not see myself putting straw into
my tanks.  Perhaps someone with a sump will be more willing to try it.

-Shaji
 Shaji Bhaskar,                                             bhaskar at bnr_ca
 BNR, 35 Davis Dr., RTP, NC 27709, USA                      (919) 991 7125