 Shaji Bhaskar,                                             bhaskar at bnr_ca
 BNR, 35 Davis Dr., RTP, NC 27709, USA                      (919) 991 7125

---forwarded message---->

Sep 03 22:59:00 1995
 From:       'krandall at world_std.com'                          (BNR400)
 Subject:    Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #286

> Subject: Aponogeton madagascariensis

Bob,

> After 36 years of freshwater, marine, and reef aquariums, and always
> wanting to try a Apon. mad., I finally took the plunge and purchased
> one two weeks ago.  Below is a description of one of my freshwater
> aquariums:

Certainly sounds like you're providing good conditions for your plants!
Good luck with the Mad. Lace.  I'll look forward to hearing your reports.
Although most people fail, you DO occassionally hear of amazing success
stories.  There was a Walmart around here that had an ENORMOUS one growing
under cool white bulbs in plain colored gravel that produced a steady supply
of bulblets which grew into small plants that they sold for several years.
They never were able to repeat their success though ;-)

------------------------------
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #285

Phillip,

> One thing I suspect the undergravel heater + laterite (or even just
> gravel + laterite) will do for a tank is denitrification.  Just as in a
> Joubert substrate, used in marine reef tanks for denitrification, I
> suspect the slow diffusion or flow of water through the gravel may
> encourage denitrifying bacteria to grow.  I'd like to hear opinions on it
> this possibility.

That depends on whether you believe that ther are significant amounts of
nitrate available in a healthy planted tank to be "denitrified".  I suspect
in a heavily planted tank very little ammonia(um) ever makes it through the
nitrogen cycle.  I suspect this is the reason that the peaks (if any) while
cycling a planted tank are so insignificant.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Native plants

Joanne,
> I sat down with Baensch & Riehls aquarium atlas & studied the plants &
> pictureds carefully.  I think now that I have, along with the Ceratophyllu
> demersum (hornwort) species, I may have also got some Brazilian Milfoil
> (Myriophyllum aquaticum), Green Cabomba (Cabomba Carolinia) and maybe som
> Potamogeton gayii.  I will try to find that book for better identification

All of your ID's sound entirely possible (probable) except for the P. gayi.
 The genus Potamogeton (common name "pond weed") is well represented in
North America, but it is probably one of these natives that you found rather
than gayi.

> > > I have also already thrown in some hornwort, hygrophila & a lawn-like
> > > (can't think of the name right now) from my other tanks.
> >
> > Hygrophilas are all tropical. It's unlikely that  you collected that
> > locally. (Didn't you say you live in Wisconsin?)
>
> The hygrophila, hornwort & lawn-like plant mentioned above were all store
> bought plants.  This is the first time I'v ever attempted to use native pl

Oh, OK, I misunderstood.

> > The lawn-like plant is probably either Eleocharis sp. or one of the smal
> > continually submerged Sagitarias. (although there are other possibilitie
> > well)

This was based on it being a native plant.

> I think it is Uticularia gibba ssp. exoleta according to B&R's atlas.  It
> given to me & I think that I was told it was crystalwort but I don't thin
> it is crystalwort.

Utricularia isn't really lawn-like...it floats.  But then I wouldn't
consider Crystalwort (even when grown on the substrate) lawn-like either.

> > >Plants have been growing in my other tanks very slowly lately - maybe t
> > >many allechemicals. It will be interesting to see how these cuttings ta
> > >off in a new tank.

> > Remember that as well as water chemistry changes, these plants undergo a
> > _dramatic_ change in lighting.  Both factors will slow down growth, even
> > you harvest earlier in the year.  As I said, at this time of year, they
> > already slowing down naturally.

> I'm not sure if the above comments apply to the plants in my other tanks
> since they were all commercially grown (in Florida I think).  Do commercia
> aquarium plants undergo seasonal effects?

No, again, I misunderstood your post.  I thought you were discussing native
plants.  Commercial aquarium plants are tropical or subtropical, and with a
few exception should grow year round.

I have noticed that my tanks ha
> gone through some periods where certain plants are predominant, but I had
> thought it was due to a combination of pH, lighting & nutrient levels.
> E.g, when I had my 125 gal tank with UGF & put in new light bulbs last
> Christmas & had lowering nitrates (20ppm-->0) & lowering pH (7.6-->7.0) ov
> about a six month period my Ludwigia replens really took off but my anubia
> nana gradually disintegrated.  However, Ludwigia cuttings which I put int
> other tanks with less light & without UGF's didn't do well.  In those tank
> the hygro was predominant.  When the light bulbs were about 6 months old i
> the 125 the hygro took over in there also.  Do other people notice cycles
> this?

Yes, I notice cycles of that sort too.  One example is with my lawn plants.
 Up until last summer, The front of one of my tanks was thickly carpeted
with E. tenellus.  I had a couple of patches of Lillaeopsis at each end, but
Had to watch the Pigmy Chain carefully to keep it from taking over.  We had
a 6 week stretch of temperatures over 90F, and the temperature in the tank
hovered between 85-90 for much of that time.  The pigmy chain seemed unable
to tolerate the heat, and started to fade.  Every inch it gave up, the
Lillaeopsis advanced.  Now all the pigmy chain is gone, and Lillaeopsis is
everywhere!

> P.S.  How can I find out if my membership/subscription for the Aquatic
> Gardeners Assoc. has expired?  I have not received the Jul-Aug 1995 issue
> of The Aqutic Gardener.

Look at the mailing label on your last issue.  The number just over your
name is the month/year your membership expires.

Karen