[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Native plants

> Subject: Native Plants
>
> Joanne,
>
> > > P.S. Remember that if you are going to try using Wisconsin native plants
> > > they will go into "hibernation" in the fall, even if you keep them warm.
> > > Tends to make for an unattractive plant for several months of the year..
> > > you can bring them back.  You might be happier using southern species of
> > > same genera.
> >
> > Well, hubby & I went plant hunting last night almost at dusk (just cause w
> > both worked late, not cause we were trying to be sneaky).
>
> Check with your state department of wildlife and make sure that collecting
> native plants for private use is allowed.  Also ask them if there is a list
> of endangered/threatened species that you should avoid.

Yes, we got a permit from the DNR for keeping fish which also covered plants.
They gave us just the fishing reg's to go by for legal species.

> >We scooped a
> > bucket in & got many unidentifiable (using aqurium plant books) plants,
>
> The best book I know for identifying native aquatic plants is "Common Marsh,
> Underwater and Floating Leaved Plants of the United States and Cananda" by
> Neil Hotchkiss, ISBN 0-486-22810-X.

I sat down with Baensch & Riehls aquarium atlas & studied the plants &
pictureds carefully.  I think now that I have, along with the Ceratophyllum
demersum (hornwort) species, I may have also got some Brazilian Milfoil
(Myriophyllum aquaticum), Green Cabomba (Cabomba Carolinia) and maybe some
Potamogeton gayii.  I will try to find that book for better identification.

> > but did get some very healthy looking stuff which I'm sure is hornwort (mu
> > thicker than what I've grown in my tanks but similar to the way I've seen
> > it arrive at the fish store)
>
> Here on the East Coast, while there _is_ native Hornwort, most of the stuff
> that strangles ponds and lakes is an exotic introduction.
>
> >Their "health status" was probably due to the lake ph (>8.0).  I'll see how
> the do in the tank at pH 7.6.
>
> Maybe, but more likely because it's getting to the end of the season. The
> aquatic plants are slowing down dramatically around here too.

But the hornwort looked great.  The possible Potamogton gayii had some yellow-
ness but otherwise looked good, as did the possible Myriophyllum aquaticum.
Only the elodea looked bad.

> > I have also already thrown in some hornwort, hygrophila & a lawn-like plan
> > (can't think of the name right now) from my other tanks.
>
> Hygrophilas are all tropical. It's unlikely that  you collected that
> locally. (Didn't you say you live in Wisconsin?)

The hygrophila, hornwort & lawn-like plant mentioned above were all store-
bought plants.  This is the first time I'v ever attempted to use native plants.

> The lawn-like plant is probably either Eleocharis sp. or one of the small,
> continually submerged Sagitarias. (although there are other possibilities as
> well)

I think it is Uticularia gibba ssp. exoleta according to B&R's atlas.  It was
given to me & I think that I was told it was crystalwort but I don't think
it is crystalwort.

> >Plants have been growing in my other tanks very slowly lately - maybe too
> >many allechemicals. It will be interesting to see how these cuttings take
> >off in a new tank.
>
> Remember that as well as water chemistry changes, these plants undergo a
> _dramatic_ change in lighting.  Both factors will slow down growth, even if
> you harvest earlier in the year.  As I said, at this time of year, they are
> already slowing down naturally.
>
> Karen

I'm not sure if the above comments apply to the plants in my other tanks
since they were all commercially grown (in Florida I think).  Do commercial
aquarium plants undergo seasonal effects?  I have noticed that my tanks have
gone through some periods where certain plants are predominant, but I had
thought it was due to a combination of pH, lighting & nutrient levels.
E.g, when I had my 125 gal tank with UGF & put in new light bulbs last
Christmas & had lowering nitrates (20ppm-->0) & lowering pH (7.6-->7.0) over
about a six month period my Ludwigia replens really took off but my anubias
nana gradually disintegrated.  However, Ludwigia cuttings which I put into
other tanks with less light & without UGF's didn't do well.  In those tanks
the hygro was predominant.  When the light bulbs were about 6 months old in
the 125 the hygro took over in there also.  Do other people notice cycles like
this?

Joanne.

P.S.  How can I find out if my membership/subscription for the Aquatic
Gardeners Assoc. has expired?  I have not received the Jul-Aug 1995 issue
of The Aqutic Gardener.