[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aponogeton Mad., Laterite/Vermiculite, Native Plants

Re: Aponogeton mad. has small leaves

> > George, seems to me you commented you hadn't had success with this
> > specimen even using the high-tech approach. *sigh*
>
> We had one that did great for 6-9 months (check out the latest 90g
> tank photo in the Krib).  It started to go dormant, so we chucked it.

According to Claus Christensen (Tropica Denmark) the overall success rate
with Madagascar lace plants (long term), no matter _what_ you do with them
is only around 10%.

That's not to say _other_ people shouldn't keep spending the money to figure
out the secret.<g>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Laterite  vs. Vermiculite

David,

> >I think that until someone (better yet, a number of someones) set up side
> >side duplicate tanks, one with laterite and one with vermiculite, and run
> >these tanks in the same manner for _at least several years_ we will not k
> >the answer to that question.
>
> Ok, you've talked me into it.

Great!

> When I get the 40 gallon that will soon come into my possession, I'll set
> as a Webb-Dupla tank with a laterite-sand lower and my slow RUGF design.
> use four bulbs for it just like in my 55.  After setting it up, I'll tear
> my 55 and set it up as a Webb-Kelly tank, minus the peat.  I a few years,
> let you know (but I'll probably move first and have to tear everything
>down.

Of course, even starting with different size tanks _slightly_ changes the
dynamics.  They can't be lit exactly the same, etc.

Subject: Native Plants

Joanne,

> > P.S. Remember that if you are going to try using Wisconsin native plants
> > they will go into "hibernation" in the fall, even if you keep them warm.
> > Tends to make for an unattractive plant for several months of the year..
> > you can bring them back.  You might be happier using southern species of
> > same genera.
>
> Well, hubby & I went plant hunting last night almost at dusk (just cause w
> both worked late, not cause we were trying to be sneaky).

Check with your state department of wildlife and make sure that collecting
native plants for private use is allowed.  Also ask them if there is a list
of endangered/threatened species that you should avoid.

>We scooped a
> bucket in & got many unidentifiable (using aqurium plant books) plants,

The best book I know for identifying native aquatic plants is "Common Marsh,
Underwater and Floating Leaved Plants of the United States and Cananda" by
Neil Hotchkiss, ISBN 0-486-22810-X.

> but did get some very healthy looking stuff which I'm sure is hornwort (mu
> thicker than what I've grown in my tanks but similar to the way I've seen
> it arrive at the fish store)

Here on the East Coast, while there _is_ native Hornwort, most of the stuff
that strangles ponds and lakes is an exotic introduction.

>Their "health status" was probably due to the lake ph (>8.0).  I'll see how
the do in the tank at pH 7.6.

Maybe, but more likely because it's getting to the end of the season. The
aquatic plants are slowing down dramatically around here too.

> I have also already thrown in some hornwort, hygrophila & a lawn-like plan
> (can't think of the name right now) from my other tanks.

Hygrophilas are all tropical. It's unlikely that  you collected that
locally. (Didn't you say you live in Wisconsin?)

The lawn-like plant is probably either Eleocharis sp. or one of the small,
continually submerged Sagitarias. (although there are other possibilities as
well)

>Plants have been growing in my other tanks very slowly lately - maybe too
>many allechemicals. It will be interesting to see how these cuttings take
>off in a new tank.

Remember that as well as water chemistry changes, these plants undergo a
_dramatic_ change in lighting.  Both factors will slow down growth, even if
you harvest earlier in the year.  As I said, at this time of year, they are
already slowing down naturally.

Karen