[Prev][Next][Index]

High Light w/o CO2

Subject: re: High light without CO2

Shaji,

> I hereby conclude that you have moderately good water :-).

Actually, I would rate my water "moderately bad".<g>  My tap water has a
total hardness of 150 ppm, KH about 5, pH out of the tap is below 6, but
jumps to 8.2 within 24 hours... Oh... It also has about 3ppm of copper.
Other than that, it's just about perfect.<g>  Fortunately, I did most of my
experimenting before they started "doctoring" our tap water.  In my low tech
tanks, I am very limited as far as what I can grow is concerned.  The tanks
are still lush and green, but the number of species I can use is small.
Even in my high tech tanks, and with pretreating my water by running it
through carbon and treating with a chelating agent I have high ienough
copper residue in my gravel that I can't grow any copper sensitive plants
like Vals or Ludwigia.  OTOH, I can't keep snails alive either, so there's a
bright side too!<g>

> But
> seriously, it's difficult for a newcomer to find a good variety of
> plants and to get good advice on their culture. Pet stores are not
> much help, either.  On top of that, it takes time to determine which
> plants do well and to learn good aquascaping.

You won't see me arguing with you there.  That's why I speak on the subject,
write articles about it, and offer my experience freely when ever asked.

> I'm not arguing against the need for balance.  I'm also not saying
> that you should not take water conditions, lighting, maintenance, the
> experience of others in your area, etc. into account when planning
> your tank. If you do, you are being foolish.

Then we don't have much to argue about.

> The question I raised was just about how hard it is to sustain a low-tech,
> high-light aquarium.  In my experience, it's not substantially more >
difficult than setting up a low-tech, low-light tank.

As I said before, and I am _not_ being facetious, good for you.  I'm glad.
But I think if you poll a large group of aquatic gardeners, you will find
that the number who can balance high light without algae problems and
without resorting to supplemental CO2 and trace elements are few.

> PS: About why I have 40 watts of lighting over a 10 gallon tank - I'm
> trying to figure that out myself :-).

Seems to me there are more interesting things you could grow in there
besides a big fish and a ball of Java Moss! ;-)

Karen