[Prev][Next][Index]

re: Input requested on new set up...

>From: Mike Bateman <vandi at well_com>
>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 14:52:18 -0700
>Subject: Re: Input requested on new set up...
>
>> I question the use of 36" tubes over a 4' tank.  You will have dim
>> areas without need, since 4' tubes would fit.  Also, you will pay the
>>
>> Karen
>
>The 36" bulbs are a compromise.  The internal dimension of my canopy is
>48 3/8" while the total length of a 48" bulb with endcaps is 48 5/8".  A
>touch too long.  If I had known that ahead of time I could have had the
>canopy custom fitted to accomodate a full 48" tube.  Since I didn't, I
>can't. :)
>
>So what I will be doing is mounting the 36" bulbs in a staggered
>fashion.  The outsides of the tank will still not receive as much
>lighting as the center, but there should be plenty of light.

Hi Mike,

What Karen said is right and what you are doing is also right in your
situation. I have the same problem with my 3' tank. My canopy have internal
dimension of 32" causing me to use 4 24" bulbs in staggered fashion. I found
that is you are having high-light stem plants on the side of your tank, such
as Ludwigia Repens, they will tilt toward the middle. Try to place them in
the middle where the staggered bulbs overlap. The tilting degree is not so much
for lower-light stem plants.

I have a question on yeast CO2 that did not receive any response...

Anyone know how to prevent the white cotton-looking substance from
appearing at the CO2 reactor? Thanks in advance.

rgds..kbkoh