[Prev][Next][Index]

Green Spot Algae - revisited

> From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 09:35:02 -0600
> Subject: Re: Green spot algae eaters
>
> > Could you describe this green spot algae more? (without putting it
> > under the microscope ;-) Does it have tufts or hairs and is it
> > extremely hard to get it off?
>
> It starts as a little bright green dot and can grow to the size of 2
> mm in two weeks. It can be rubbed off acrylic tanks with a soft cloth
> and elbow grease but requires something more robust in a glass tank.
> At this size, there are no tufts or hairs, just a smooth green spot.
> Some of the really old Anubias leaves will get this also; it looks
> like someone painted a lighter green area on the plant.

I have/had what appears to be green spot algae. I purchased the Penn-Plax
magna cleaner and magna scarper (? the actual names; $7.? & $8.? from TFP).
The magna cleaner (brillo-pad texture on the scrubbing surface) was not
effective at all on the established spots.

The magna scraper, however, surprised me in its effectiveness. It places a
razor blade nearly perpendicular to the glass as it slides along, tearing
off the dots (& whatever else is hanging on to the glass). There are no
aparent signs of damage to the glass (I would NOT use this on acrylic).
It is also a lot easier to drive the magnet around from the outside than
it is to use the "scrubber on a stick" technique.

OTOH, I am not sure how I would use it on plant leaves ;).

I recommend this product to the glass aquarium owner who is disappointed in
the outcome from the "safer" magnetic cleaning devices.

Also, I only used the scraper once, and have since been able to keep up with
the spots using the cleaner.

Dan
| Dan Mongoven                  //        Maildrop: IL02 Room 1043      |
| FPDC - Core Systems Software  \\ Internet E-Mail: danmo at comm_mot.com  |
| Radio Network Solutions Group // Motorola E-Mail: Mongoven-CDM034 Dan |
| Motorola - LMPS               \\                                      |
| 1301 E. Algonquin Rd.         //           Phone: 708/538-5407        |
| Schaumburg, Il 60196          \\             Fax: 708/538-3765        |