[Prev][Next][Index]

Remote mounting of ballast, anyone?

My DIY hood contains 2 double fluorescent plus 2 single fluorescent shop
lights for a total of 4 ballasts. Not only do they add a lot of weight to
the already too heavy hood (I probably should have used something lighter
than 1/2" particle board), they are generating so much heat that I have
to turn one or two of them off on the hottest days. I suppose the best
thing to do is to mount the ballasts away from the hood, in the cabinet
below perhaps. Although it's probably a simple modification, I'd still
like to hear about your experience if you have your fluorescent ballasts
mounted remotely. Thanks.

BTW, is there a danger that my tank (48"x18"x24" 1/2" glass) could not
support the hood (it's at least 50 lbs incl the ballasts and the entire
weight rests on the two edges of the tank). The thought of a flooded family
room really scares me...

 John Y. Ching (jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca)    |
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Lab	|
 Department of Systems Design Engineering      	|
 University of Waterloo, Canada            	|