[Prev][Next][Index]

Re:snails and SAE

> From: Stephen.Pushak at hcsd_hac.com
> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 95 14:12:27 PDT
> Subject: Snails
>
> I notice that there are small holes in some leaves which I think are
> created by the snails. Mostly these leaves are the detached floaters
> from the H poly so I'm not panicing. Hard to tell if the holes got there
> after they floated or if that's why the leaves came off (snail attack)
> The pond snails seem to prefer these loose leaves for feeding. It would
> seem that most people don't (intentionally) keep pond snails or limphets
> with their aquarium fish. I could poison them, but that might harm the
> algae eaters or some delicate plants. Anybody know? I've heard that certain
> kinds of fish eat snails. Is it loaches? What other eating habits do I need

Clown loaches are good snail eaters, but I hear they can also damage your
plants. No personal experience though.

You can also put a piece of lettuce in the tank and in a couple of hours
it will be covered with snails. Just remove the lettuce.

> to know about loaches? Do they like to eat fry? Any other methods for dealing
> with snails? I'd still like to get some of those burrowing snails, if I could
> find a source in Vancouver or Bellingham WA.

I have some Malayan Trumpets in my tank. They are reproducing. If you
like, I can send you some when I get a few more (and if I can catch them;
they only come out at night). If I use snail-mail (g), it shouldn't be too
expensive.

> From: ibi007 at lion_connect.more.net (Allen Sandifer)
> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 17:45:02 -0500
> Subject: Re: SAEs
>
> I called Uncle Ned Saturday and he said that it would cost about $25 to have
> them shipped nextday air to the midwest. I do agree even at that it makes it
> rather expensive, but a friend and I are going to place an order together so
> that will help might just order a couple of otos too.

Hmmm... That's not fair. Why does it always cost more for us Canadians
:-)? The price list that Ned faxed me says $40 for overnight UPS.

> I put some sort of little alage eaters in the tank that I picked up here at
> a local pet shop. Not sure excatly what they are yet as they were sold as
> Alage Eaters. Need to go over the description of the SAEs and releated that
> I have. From what I can tell they definitly are NOT SAEs but they are
> cleaning up the tank.

Most likely these are CAEs (Chinese Algae Eater) since they appear to be
most common in pet stores. The young do eat some algae but as they get
older they get quite aggressive and prefer your smaller fish.

 John Y. Ching (jyching at watnow_uwaterloo.ca)    |
 Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence Lab	|
 Department of Systems Design Engineering      	|
 University of Waterloo, Canada            	|