[Prev][Next][Index]

Webb-Kelly 29 gallon setup

Below is a diagram and a description of a Webb-Kelly tank that I put
together one month ago. It uses a 30" x 12" x 18" aquarium fitted
with a 175 watt metal halide canopy. Does it work? Do bananas grow
in Costa Rica? More seriously, although the verdict will be out for
some time, all of the plants are doing well. The clump of microswords
cover half the tank, the c. wendtii have thrown off runners, and the
c. nevillii have turned red (maybe they're not nevillii).

      _
     / \
    [ ]\ \
 ---| |--\-\------------------------------------------------------
 |  | |    \ \                                         ________  |
 |  |L|     \ \                                       |________| |
 |  |I|       \ \_____________________________________|        |_|
 |  |F|        \__CO2________CO2________CO2____________CO2  o==|=|======
 |  |T|                                               |        |-|     =
 |  | |                                               |        | |     =
 |  |T|                                               |INTERNAL| |   +++++
 |  |U|                                               | FLUVAL | |   +   +
 |  |B|                                               |        | |   +   +
 |  |E|                                               |________| |   +   +
 |  | |                                                          |   + C +
 |  | |                                                          |   + O +
 |  | |                                                          |   + 2 +
 |  | |####################### GRAVEL ###########################|   +   +
 |  | |@@@@@@@ CLAY & VERMICULITE & POND TABLET FERTILIZER @@@@@@|   +   +
 |  | |####################### GRAVEL ###########################|   +   +
 |  | -----------------------------------------------------------|   +   +
 |__|_______________UNDERGRAVEL___FILTER___PLATE_________________|   +++++

A DIY CO2 generator is connected to an Hagen Fluval Internal Filter
via silicon tubing and a minitube connector. The effluent spout of the
filter is attached to a Hagen spray bar which is submerged. It angles
upward so that the far end rests on the top of the lift tube which
projects an inch above the water line. A fine hole is drilled at this
end of the spray bar to allow a minute quantity of water to fall into
the lift tube, then down and under the undergravel plate. This simulates
ground water seepage while avoiding the Dupla effect, i.e.. costly and
unnecessary financial outlays of dubious value. The Fluval provides
mechanical and biological filtration, and conveniently dissolves the
carbon dioxide. The spray bar provides water movement in the middle
region of the tank without the turbulence and surface agitation usually
associated with this power filter or with external AquaClears. Carbon
dioxide retention seems to strongly correlate with minimal surface
water movement. The substrate follows a suggestion made last year by
Jim Kelly. Garnish with trace elements and macronutrients as required.

Initially, the half-dead plants, sparsely arranged, and the bright light
resulted in lots of hair and spot algae. This is still a problem. The
inhabitants, six otocinclus and a SAM, have yet to be fed. Things are
filling in nicely now. If I were to redo the setup, I would arrange for
the spray bar to breach the lift tube at a downward angle about ten
inches below the surface of the water. This would allow for better
mixing of the water and carbon dioxide and less blow off. I might also
go with a finer gravel or beach sand.

Dave Whittaker                                        August 4, 1995