[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: New tank setup <<

 Davin,

 While Stephen is right that you can achieve spectacular growth with 2 100W
MH's over a 55G tank, you can _also_ achieve a lush fast growing tank using
traditional fluorescents.  I use 3 40W bulbs over my 55G tank with
supplemental CO2 and Claus' UGF/heater system and I have excellent growth.  In
fact I have had to remove several Echinodorus that were purchased small and
have totally taken over the tank.

 While there may be some very light hungry plants that cannot be kept in this
tank, I weed very bright pink Rotala macrandra with short internodes and good
tight foliage on a regular basis, and this is a plant that is usually
considered in the "high light" category.

 If you have the money to invest in MH's, go for it.  But if you don't, you
can _still_ have a tank with more growth than you know what to do with! :-)

 Subject: Apon. ellensis and Apon. stackyporus

 Bob,

 I have not been able to locate any information on A. ellensis, although I
have seen it listed on price lists occassionally.  Whether that means that
it's not a true species, or whether it is just not that commonly available,
I'm not sure.

 A. stachyosporus _is_ listed in the Baensch Atlas, Vol. 2. The photo show
leaves that are puckered and tightly corkscrewed.  According to them the
species is in question, and may be a variety of A. undulatus.  It is another
of the Aponos with a smooth, spherical tuber,

 They say it is uncommon in nature, and difficult under aquarium cultivation.
To remain in good condition, it needs very soft water and bright light.  In
less adequate light, the leaves do not twist, but remain flat.

 Subject: Siamensis

 Allen,

 Uncle Neds is in Millis, MA.  Their tel.# is:  (508)533-5969

 Subject: More light = plant bubbles?!

 Mark,

 >> Today I received in the mail a new double strip four
 foot light.  I immediately got it over the tank with the old lights and
watched  my plants "come to life"  The effect was immediate...they all started
to send a tiny stream of bubbles from various leaves.  I'm not talking just a
few bubbles,  these things were goin' crazy!  Can anyone help me with what
exchange is going on here and what the light triggered to do this? <<

 This is called photosynthesis.<g>  Your plants were unable to use your
supplemental CO2 (and other nutrients) due to the lack of light.  Now, with
the light they need for proper balance, they're going to work.  The bubbles
you see are oxygen, with is the by-product of photosynthesis.  If you look in
any encyclopedia, you should find a full explanation of photosynthesis... it
occurs both in the water and out... It's just that we can't _see_ it happening
out of the water.

 Subject:  Aquatic Plant I.D. Videos

 I finally got around to calling the University of Florida about their video
series (this info came off the newsgroup earlier this year)  Wow!  If you
haven't yet borrowed these tapes, you're missing out.  There are 7 tapes which
ID 115 different plants that can be found in Florida. (and elsewhere)  They
are divided into:

 Submersed Plants (2 tapes)
 Floating and Floating Leaved Plants (1 tape)
 Emersed Plants (2 Tapes)
 Grasses Sedges and Rushes (2 Tapes)

 Besides being valuable in terms of identification, they are very useful in
terms of actually seeing the biotopes where these plants grow.  (For instance,
they show a specific Milfoil growing in water 12' deep in a fast moving river,
and the same plant at the surface of a shallow pond.

 Not surprising considering the ecology of Florida, there are a number of
plants shown that grow in brackish and hard water as well as the typically
thought of soft/acid setting.

 The tapes can be purchased for $115 by calling (904)392-1764, or can be
borrowed at no cost by calling (904)392-1799.  When I called, I was surprised
that all you need do is ask for the tapes, and they send them out to you. I
hope people are good about returning them considering the University's
generous lending policy!

  E-mail from: Karen Randall, 02-Aug-1995