[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Pronunciation of plant names

> Listening to George on tape made me realize how much differently I pronounce
> some words like Hygrophila (maybe it's George who's different ;-) I say it:
> HIGH - grow - fill - ah and George says it high - GRAW - fill - ah.  Anybody
> besides George and me know the correct pronunciation.  Maybe it's because I'm
> a Canadian, eh?  ;-)

NO NO NO! The scientific names are Latin and Greek, not English and they
are not pronounced like English words! (Yes, I've seen George's tape too.)
It is little difficult to explain how to pronounce Hygrophila, because
there is not the right kind of "y" in English, but it is something like
hugh-GROH-fih-lah.

Liisa Sarakontu                     INTERNET:    lsarakon at hila_hut.fi
Helsinki University of Technology   WWW homepage http://www.hut.fi/~lsarakon/