[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #182

Regarding power head for plant tanks - I use them and get good results.
Set one tank up with one half rev flow, other normal.  At no time was I
able to detect a difference.  Plants did great on both sides.  Stopped
using rev flow due to being lazy about cleaning the prefilter.  I think
some of the problem with UG filter reputation is that most people drive
them with air stones.  This of course drives off valuable co2.  In using
power heads do not use the air injection option.  (same as using an air
stone).
In addition to UG filters/power heads I make use of stacked hydrosponge
biggest
size filters.  They take forever to clog (I hate cleaning filters) and
do a supper job.  My suggestion is go ahead with power heads.  How else
can you get the circulation recommended in the Optimum Aquarium book?  If
you have substrate heating then UG is out but you could use the large
foam filters.

I have never been able to grow good plants with airstones operating.  I
have talked to several people who claim they get good results using air
stones.  In working out the bugs and getting plants to grow you have to
do everything you can and then go ahead and modifiy to see if you still
get good results.  But it is folly to violate every suggestion on growing
plants and then wonder why it didn't work!