[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Java Moss for Goldfish Aquarium

From: Kevin Conlin <kcconlin at balzac_cae.ca>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 1995 09:46:00 -0400
Subject: Re: Plants for Goldfish Aquarium

<<I'd recommend crypts, Anubias, Java fern, and Java moss[...] I've never
seen anything eat Java moss,
although the gouramis pick at it from time to time, possibly to get at
uneaten
food that gets trapped in it.>>

Interesting!  Our Flag cichlid (Cichlasoma festivum or Mesonauta festivus,
depending on whom you consult ;-) grazes heavily on our Java Moss.  I credit
him with sole responsibility for keeping it from taking over half the tank...
though I still have to pull clumps from around the bases of the crypts
myself.  His mulm looks like snippets of bright green yarn.  On the other
hand, I've never had anyone eat the hornwort (at long last banished from the
now full 55G - hooray!).

I would say that Java Moss is still a good choice, if its growth can keep up
with the fishes' consumption rate (after all, it is probably nutritious for
them)... but will it tolerate goldfish tank temps?  My little book says 75F
(24C) minimum...

Anne