From: steveh at ilx_com (Steven Hicks)
To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
Subject: Nature Aquarium World ID, Newsgroup vs. Mail List
Cc: steveh at coltrane_devo.ilx.com
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:15:59 -0400 (EDT)

I've been lurking here for a month or so, and on the rec.aquaria
newsgroup for several months.  The plants I've chosen (with the help
of several of the regular posters to this list) for my first tank
should be arriving from Mike at Delaware Aquatics later this week. :)
Anyway, I have a few questions about 'Nature Aquarium World', and a
concern about moving plant discussions to a newsgroup.

I'm having a bit of trouble ID'ing some of the plants in 'Nature
Aquarium World' (by ?).  On page 10 there is a small, stemmed, light
green plant which the author refers to later as 'pearl grass'.  Is
this hemianthus micranthemoides?  On the same page is a tall, stemmed,
reddish plant with long (very) narrow leaves.  Is this ludwigia
arcuata or alternanthera reinekii?  Finally, what is the author
talking about when he mentions the 'Dutch plant' (it's in his list of
background/tall plants).

On the subject of the rec.aquaria split, I plan to vote for it but I
have one concern which I have not seen mentioned here.  All messages
to the mailing list are archived, and there is a search page

    http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/search.html

which is EXTREMELY helpful to me as a newcomer.  I assume that
automatic archiving of every post would no longer be done if the
discussion was moved to a newsgroup.  This would be a shame.  A FAQ is
ok but a searchable archive of every post is 100x better.

--
Steven Hicks,            ILX Systems                  212-720-3148
steveh at ilx_com           111 Fulton Street            212-312-2983 (fax)