[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #153

> From: Stephen.Pushak at hcsd_hac.com
> Date: Wed, 28 Jun 95 13:41:35 PDT
> Subject: (R)UGF plumbing
>
> I'm planning to set up a RUGF system with a vermiculite/soil/gravel substrate
> this week.  I'd like to include a removeable PVC tube which I can connect to an
> existing UGF system which I could use for the iron/peat leaching experiment.
> The problem is the existing lift tubes are too short, too narrow and not
> removeable.  Any suggestions for plumbing fixtures?  Is there a threaded clear
> PVC coupling or some type of swaged coupling?
>
>            |   |<- PVC tube (replaces old lift tube)
>            |   |
>            |   |
>            [===]<- coupling device??
>            |   |
> ***********|   |*****************
> ***********|   |***Substrate*****

Steve,

In case you wish to consider a new UGF plate for your experiment, the
"Evenflo" line of UGF plates made by Hagen has almost the exact same
design as your drawing above. A coupler (called a gravel saver or
something like that) is attached to the plate itself, and the lift tube
is removable without having gravels fall into the UGF plate hole. You can
also buy replacement coupler+lift tube for the Evenflo in many fish
places. Should be compatible with another brand UGF as long as the tube
is the same diameter.