[Prev][Next][Index]

Sword Plant Size

>From: nfrank at parsifal_nando.net (Neil Frank)
>Date: Sun, 18 Jun 95 07:48:15 EDT
>Subject: Sizes of E. horemanii

>E. horemanii, red and green varieties, are beautiful plants. They are among
>my favorites and are the only large Echinodorus that I currently have.

Yes, the size of most of the larger swords is problem.  But there is
one species that I've found to be almost ideal in size for aquariums
about 1.5 feet (0.5m) high - Echinodorus parviflorus, or the Black
Amazon Sword.  I believe in used to be called E. paniculatus (sp?).

This species is fairly easy to identify - the new leaves have clearly
marked dark red veins on a green background.  Most books say that this
plant is only about a foot tall, but in an aquarium with CO2 injection,
it can reach the top of the tank.

-Shaji
Shaji Bhaskar                                              bhaskar at bnr_ca
BNR, 35 Davis Dr., RTP, NC 27709, USA                      (919) 991 7125