[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Substrate material and heating.

     Hi all, first time on this list, but I've been lurking for a bit.  I
     have a few questions for ya...

     I noticed all these posts about wierd plumbing and everything trying
     to get some water movement through the substrate and started thinking
     about it (because I was considering trying it).  Here's another idea
     for ya...  Set up a ten gallon tank underneath the main tank, drop 3
     or 4 heaters in it, get a small pump to pump the water through some
     tubing (even airline tubing would do I guess) that is coiled or
     "snaked" in the substrate.  Make sure the water gets returned to the
     ten gallon, not the tank.  Voila, instant substrate heating.  Someone
     please bash a hole in this idea before tomorrow, I might just try it.

     Next...  As a substitute for laterite, will pottery clay work?  Anyone
     know the composition of it?  Just another thought.

     Jonathan
     jkalmes at arcada_com