[Prev][Next][Index]

re: Substrate heating

I suspect that accumulation of dead, rotting root material in the
substrate is often the reason why people run into problems with the
substrate in CO2-injected tanks without heating cables.

If my theory is right, plant growth will deteriorate sooner in tanks
tanks with fast growing plants that are frequently pulled out and
replanted, and in tanks where plants like Crypts and Swords that have
extensive root systems are disturbed.  If a tank is not disturbed
often, or has plants with fragile roots, it may sustain a longer
period of stable growth.

Anyone out there with experiences that support this theory?  (If your
experience contradicts my theory, I don't want to hear about it :-).)

-Shaji