[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: CO2 reactor

>I'm not really interested in increasing the CO2's length of "submersion" by
>forcing the spray bar to spray it out at a low level in the tank--I'm more
>interested in coming up with a system (using pressure) to dissolve the CO2
>forcibly....rather than just introducing the CO2 and hoping it dissolves via
>long exposure to water (like I'm doing right now).

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my original reply about using a canister filter
for a reactor.  The only reason I put the spray bar at the bottom of the
tank is so that the water with the CO2 dissolved in it isn't splashing about
on the surface losing all the recently added CO2.  No bubbles come out of
the spray bar because the CO2 is completely dissolved into the water in the
filter.  The design of the canister filter precludes any gasses from coming
out because the discharge is from the bottom of the canister while the gas
is on top.  There is barely any water displaced (not even noticeable) by the
CO2 because it dissolves so fast.  Messing around with my needle valve one
time I sent so much CO2 into the filter that it was half full of gas, yet in
less than a minute it was all dissolved into the incoming water with no
bubbles coming out.  This points out that the canister filter easily has the
capacity to handle a large amount of CO2, so you don't need to worry about
gas binding of the pump in there.  Again, I'm not saying that it is the
optimal reactor (it may be, but I don't know) but it has the advantage of
being both a filter and a gas reactor at once, and isn't too expensive.