[Prev][Next][Index]

temperature & CO2 Yeast Generators, biogenic decalcification.

Ghazanfar suggests using temperature to control yeast CO2 production:

Yup, temperature will really affect the productivity of the yeast. The optimum
temperature for yeast is probably around 100'F which is warm water. HOWEVER, if
you mix up a fresh batch and add more than enough yeast, the CO2 bubble count
could be too high and will tend to exhaust itself much sooner. I had not heard of
using baking soda as an anti-acid buffer. I have observed that my bubble count
is frequently lower than what I wish but the reactor still continues to produce
only slowly. I put my reactors on the top of my lights so they get the extra
benefit of heat from there during the photo-period. Might be even better to have
a warmer pad also controlled by the light timer since I think this would boost
productivity significantly but lower it at night when you don't need it as much.

I understand the problem of biogenic decalcification can cause quite severe
increases in pH. This is a problem in systems with high carbonate hardness
where there is insufficient CO2 in solution. Vallisneria in particular is capable
of second stage reduction of carbonates which can produce water 100 times more
alkaline than previously. It might be advisable to employ peat filtering to
reduce carbonates and improve CO2 solubility. Is it the tannic acid in peat which
produces this effect? Might tea serve a similar function? Some pay a lot for
black water extract for their cichlids. I wonder what else is in it?

Now the others have suggested that a little bicarbonate of soda is good for pH
buffering and I know nothing about buffering so perhaps one of our better
informed colleagues can give us better suggestions. It seems that both CO2 &
bicarbonate of soda (in moderation) produce a buffering effect. CO2 is very
good for many reasons and pH control is probably one of the most important esp.
when you have plants. We live and learn.

--Steve

|    Don't fear what you face; Face what you fear!    |