[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #71

}
} From: Michael Irlbeck <u7211aa at sunmail_lrz-muenchen.de>
} Date: Mon, 15 May 1995 14:12:52 +0200 (MET DST)
} Subject: Re:Growing conditions for plants and algae
}
<snip>
} So what I'll do next is try to lower the pH a little. The reason why I
} initially aimed for 7.3 and only about 15 mg/l of CO/2 was some concern
} about how long the 1500g CO2 bottle would last. In this big tank (open)
} it's really bubbling away! The rate in the bubble counter is just about
} too fast to count and the valve is open at least three fourths of the
time.

Michael, I have the same problem on the 180 I have just setup (6'x2'x2')
also with an open top where the CO2 seems to be going a lot. What reactor
are you using and how is it plumbed. I started playing with the Aqualine
reactor advertise in PW and don't think it is going to work for the rate
I have been running at (plus there are no english instructions)!

}
} Interesting side note: in support of the experimental finding of George
} Booth, I can report that there seems to be very little, if any CO2 loss
} caused by the trickle filter. I measured pH in the water before the TF
and
} after and there was no detectable difference in pH. The measurements
were
} repeated about five times with a pH electrode (Dupla). If the TF had
} stipped some CO2 out of the water, some pH difference should have been
} detectable.

Humm, have to think about this one. would you expect a detectable
difference or just a small (but continuous) out gasing ? Given the amount
of water that is turned over in a W/D even a 0.01 detectable difference
would represent a rapid loss of CO2 ? just a thought.

Ted Fidder

--
Ted Fidder
   (fidder at drmail_dr.att.com) (303)-538-5106