[Prev][Next][Index]

rec.aquaria reorg

 Dustin,

 If we are to go to a newsgroup rather than the mailing list, I would much
prefer that the aquatic plants section be moderated.  One of the reasons I
have avoided posting on .aquaria is because of the flaming I have seen.  One
of the things I have really enjoyed about this mailing list is how friendly
and courteous everyone has been.  I'd hate to see that change.  I also like
being able to quickly get the messages on the subject that interests me
without going through all the other stuff.

 Subject: Riccia fluitans (Crystalwort moss)

 >> is it Vesicularia dubyana? I had some of this prolific stuff and it comes
to mind when I hear the discussion of attaching Java moss with strings. This
stuff you could just shove in the gravel or leave it grow. It got everywhere
rather than staying in a confined shape that would have enhanced the
aquarium's looks. <<

 First, these are two different plants.  Riccia, as you mention is
Crystalwort, and mostly a floating plant, although some people report success
tying it to rocks and training it on the bottom of brightly lit tanks.  V.
dubyana is Java Moss, a mush darker plant, and one that is happy on the
bottom.  Your problems with it becoming unruly were caused by merely shoving
it into the gravel. Given a strong anchor, it becomes a fairly cohesive mass
that is pretty easy to control, and very decorative.

 >> I'd like to discover a small plant that would carpet the bottom but that
wouldn't wind itself among all the taller plants. <<

 My favorite "lawn" plant is Lillaeopsis, either brazilliensis or Tropica's L.
sp. "Mauritius".  Both spread quickly in fine gravel, and make a fine short
(2-3") lawn.  the leaf blades of brazilliensis are flat, while those of sp.
"Mauritius" are round.  Both grow well in my tanks, but according to Claus
Christensen of Tropica, sp. "Mauritius" is not as demanding as brazilliensis
in regards to light.

 Echinodorus tenellus (Pigmy Chain Sword) is also a popular choice, in this
application, but I don't like all the shedding of old leaves that this plant
does.

  E-mail from: Karen Randall, 11-May-1995